Success Stories

Read about how successful these members have been!

All Success Stories

HopeBuilders Breakfast

Attend one of our informational HopeBuilders breakfasts to learn more about the Champlain Housing Trust and the affordable housing work we do in northwestern Vermont.

Learn More

Rental Housing

Frequently Asked Questions

1. I would like to speak to someone about housing options. Who can I speak with?

For those interested in our Chittenden County properties call our applications office (802) 861-7350 or email us at for general information about housing options and current vacancies. For those interested in our Franklin County & Grand Isle County properties call (802) 527-2361.

2. Is there anyone available to help me fill out the application if I need help?
Yes, our applications staff is available to help answer any questions that you may have. Please contact us at (802) 861-7350 or to schedule an appointment at our Burlington office located at 88 King Street, Burlington, VT 05401. You may also request help upon walking in if someone is available.
3. What is the application process and how long does it take?

Upon receiving a completed application, Champlain Housing Trust pulls a credit report and background check. We then contact your current and past landlords for a reference. We will contact any landlord who you rented from for at least one year within the past five years. Your application is then submitted to the review team who make the final decision based on your entire applicant file. This process takes 3 weeks depending on how long it takes to receive a completed application or landlord reference.

4. What if I do not have any landlord references?
If you do not have any formal rental history, we will require you to complete a class called Rent Right with CVOEO (Champlain Valley Office of Economic Opportunity). This class is offered both in Burlington and St. Albans. This is a rental education program that includes a 2 hour class on your responsibilities as a renter and dealing with common issues like repairs or deposits. Optional additional classes include financial education, credit-building classes, and a workshop to help prepare for a more successful housing search.
5. What if I have bad credit?
If you have bad credit, we will require you to complete our class called Ready, Set, Rent which will provide you with credit education, money management skills, and on-going support to help you build your credit. This is a series of 3 classes that run about 2 hours each. You will also meet one-on-one with a mentor two times. We offer this program at least once a month and they can be taken in Burlington and in St. Albans.
6. What if I have no credit at all?
If you have no credit, we will require you to do one of three things. 
  1. Provide a cosigner, 
  2. Provide statements from a utility provider showing you paid in full and on time for at least 6 months, or 
  3. Complete our class called Ready, Set, Rent. 
Note that this does not apply for a submitted HUD application.
7. I was denied for insufficient income, what can I do?

If you were denied for insufficient income, you will want to apply for our subsidized units and/or a Section 8 voucher. Champlain Housing Trust maintains a waitlist for the following subsidized properties:

Chittenden County:
Allen Canal Apts – Winooski
Point School Apts – Colchester

Franklin County:
Pleasant Street – Enosburg Falls
Rail City – St. Albans
Swanton School – Swanton

Grand Isle County:
Alburg Family Housing – Alburg
Pine Manor – Alburg
Round Barn – Grand Isle

The following properties are managed by Champlain Housing Trust, but Burlington Housing Authority and Vermont State Housing Authority maintain the waitlist for the project-based, subsidized units. People who live in these apartments pay 30% of their income for their rent and BHA or VSHA pay the rest. You must contact BHA or VSHA directly to apply to be added to the waitlist. When your name gets close to the top of the waitlist you will be asked to fill out a CHT application to be sure you are eligible for the apartment. You MUST update your address with BHA or VSHA if you move. CHT will ONLY contact you by mail when you are near the top of the wait list.

These waiting lists are typically months to years long. Once you move into one of these apartments, you pay 30% of your monthly income to your rent. If your income goes up, your rent goes up. If your income goes down, your rent goes down.

Burlington Housing Authority (802) 864-0538 maintains the waitlist for the Section 8 units at the following properties managed by Champlain Housing Trust:

BUS BARN Bus Barn Allocated (1, 2, & 3 bdrms) 343 North Winooski Avenue, Burlington
KLINKENSTEIN City Neighborhoods (1, 2, & 3 bdrms) 52/54 North Champlain Street, Burlington
ECHO (1, 2, & 3 bdrms) Archibald Street / North Winooski Avenue, Burlington
LIME KILN Lime Kiln Apartments (1 & 2 bdrms) 378 Lime Kiln Road / 380 Lime Kiln Road, South Burlington
Maple Tree Place (1, 2, & 3 bdrms) Williston 
O’DELL  O’Dell Apartments (1, 2, & 3 bdrms) 345, 347, 349 and 351 Farrell Street, South Burlington 
SHELBURNE  Shelburne Family Housing (1, 2, & 3 bdrms) Ockert Lane / 5404 Shelburne Road, Shelburne 
WATERFRONT  Waterfront Housing (1, 2, & 3 bdrms) 300 Lake St, Burlington 

Vermont State Housing Authority (800) 820-5119 or (802) 828-3295 maintains the waitlist for the Section 8 units at the following properties managed by Champlain Housing Trust:

FALLS HOUSING  (1 & 2 bdrms) Main St, Enosburg 
(1, 2 & 3 bdrms) Isle Lane, Grand Isle 
HIDDEN PINES  (1 bdrm) Highbridge Rd, Fairfax 

8. What is the difference between a HUD subsidized, tax credit and market rate apartment?

HUD subsidized: The rent is based on income and the remaining portion is paid by the local Housing Authority or HUD. A resident pays 30% of their monthly income for rent. Each resident in a subsidized unit must be re-certified annually to determine continued eligibility for the program. If a residents income changes, they are required to let us know so we can adjust the rent amount. /Tax Credit: If income eligible, rent is a fixed-rate rent which differs based on site and size of unit, but is lower than rent at market rate apartments. Rent for the low-income tax credit program apartments is not based on the resident's income and does not change if the resident's income changes. All households are re-certified annually to verify continued eligibility. Income limits are listed in description of available apartments. Projected rent and utility payments must be under 50% of household gross annual income to be considered affordable. /Market Rate: These apartments are the same as renting an apartment through a private landlord. The rents at market rate units are fixed-rate but may differ based on site and size. There are no income limits to rent these units. Income and assets are not verified annually. If you are a current section 8 housing choice voucher holder, you may use your voucher at a Tax Credit or Market Rate apartment.

9. How much does it cost to rent an apartment through the Champlain Housing Trust?
Generally, the one-bedroom apartments range from $650.00-$950.00; the two-bedroom apartments range from $800.00-$1,200.00; the three-bedroom apartments range from $900.00-$1,350.00. Rental amounts vary depending upon the area in which you are seeking housing as well as the type of housing for which you are applying.
10. Does the Champlain Housing Trust have model apartments available to show?
No, the Champlain Housing Trust does not have model apartments available to show. Once you have completed your application and received notification that it has been preliminarily approved, you will have the ability to make an appointment with the Property Manager responsible for the site you are interested in to show you a unit. The standard timeframe for the processing of a rental application is 3 weeksand as soon a determination has been made regarding your application, a letter will be sent to you letting you know the outcome.
11. What are the sizes of your apartments?
The typical two-bedroom unit measures approximately 958-997 square feet and the typical three-bedroom unit measures approximately 1100 square feet.
12. I disagree with my decision letter, what can I do?
If you disagree with this decision, you may appeal this decision by contacting CHT within 10 calendar days of the receipt of the decision letter. If you applied in Burlington the request must be mailed to: Champlain Housing Trust, Attention: Appeals Officer, 88 King Street, Burlington VT 05401. If you applied in St. Albans the request must be mailed to: Champlain Housing Trust, Attention: Appeals Officer, 13 Lake Street, St. Albans, VT 05478. You may request an informal meeting to go over the reasons for rejection or you may provide the additional written documentation for consideration by the Appeals Officer. If you are providing written documentation only, please note that each reason for the denial of your application marked must be addressed and explained in detail.
13. How can I check the status of my application?
If you submitted an application to us over 3 weeks ago and have not heard from us, please give our applications department a call at (802) 861-7350 or email at
14. Does the Champlain Housing Trust allow residents to have pets?
Currently our properties allow residents to own one indoor cat. One cage of birds or animals is permitted. Only the following animals are accepted: Gerbils, guinea pigs, rabbits, mice and hamsters. Birds and animals must remain in their cages at all times. Fish: Aquariums must total not more than 20 gallons (i.e., one 20 gallon or two 10 gallon tanks). Tanks exceeding 10 gallons must be equipped with a hood to prevent condensation on apartment walls and ceilings. Dogs are strictly prohibited at most of our properties. Additionally dogs are not allowed to visit at those properties. At the properties that do allow dogs please speak with the property manager about our Dog Policy. Residents represent that their pet is a domesticated cat, bird, or small caged animal, is not vicious, and has not bitten, attacked, harmed or menaced anyone in the past.
15. My wife/husband/child/family member is going to move in with me in less than a year. That’s ok right?

No other person may reside in the unit without first obtaining the prior written approval by the Landlord. Failure to do so is a violation of the Lease and is grounds for termination of tenancy.

Within the first year of the lease there may be no additional persons added to the household.

Champlain Housing Trust will not discriminate, deny any household the opportunity to apply for admission, or deny any applicant the opportunity to lease or rent a dwelling unit suitable to its needs if such is available on account of age, race, color, religion, disability, familial status, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender-related characteristics, or because a person is a recipient of public assistance, including Section 8 housing assistance.

We are an Equal Housing Opportunity Organization. We do business in accordance with the Federal Fair Housing Law (The Fair Housing Amendments Act of 1988).